Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ikat

You know those friends who you hated when you first met them, but now you are practically in love with each other?

Well, my friends, that is my relationship with ikat. I used to hate it. I thought it looked like a "high-class" tye-dye. But it is much prettier than your Dad's 60's t-shirt or the shirt you dyed at your frenemie's 3rd birthday party.The colors blend together while still maintaing a geometric print. Ikat is an central asian way of dying each strand of thread individually, and then weaving them into beautiful patterns, for a tye-dye-ish effect.

For those of you not familiar, ikat prints come in any color and patterns:



Its all the rage now and is appearing everywhere- from shorts, to bedding, to dresses, to pillows.  Look at this gorgeous duvet cover:



If you could ever water color on a pillow, I'm pretty sure it would look something like ikat.

For more information on how ikat is made (its really interesting, and very labor-intensive) go to this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment